Thursday, September 26, 2013

2013 HP ENVY 15 - Intel Wireless N 2230 - Wifi Drops randomly

Apparently the Intel Wireless N 2230 wifi card, that came included in the HP ENVY 15-j059nr, has some known issues with its Windows 8 Drivers.

I started experiencing random network drop outs while connected to a WiFi N network, I tried 3 different WiFi routers/networks, same result.  

Drivers are all up to date, so I did a little searching around and found this ;



This thread is full of people with all different makes and models of laptops, all with the Intel Wireless N 2230 installed, all having the same exact problem.

While there are a few various recommendations in there as to a temporary fix, it sounds like ultimately Intel is working on a driver that works right.

What I did that seems to have made the network connectivity issues go away, is to DISABLE Wireless N mode for the Intel 2230 card in device manager.

Since doing this I have not had any drops in connectivity, at the expense of the high speeds of Wireless N, which I am not so sure I really got anyways.


Hopefully Intel gets this Windows 8 driver issue sorted out for the Intel 2230 Wifi N card.

I have heard that this issues goes away in Windows 8.1 Preview, so there is hope!


** Update 10-18-2013

I went ahead and did the official Windows 8.1 Update, and the problem seems to have disappeared, I am back operating on Wireless N mode, and have not had a single drop in 8 hours.

The setting reverted itself, as I believe windows installed new drivers for the card.

** Update 11-1-13

I have had a couple random WiFi drops since the update, though not terribly often, maybe once every couple days I have to disable and re-enable my WiFi card.

1 comment:

X Random Blog said...

Hey man, i just bought this laptop. Did you have any problems updatiing to windows 8.1? Driver issues? Black screens?
Little afraid of updating