Monday, August 04, 2008

Stuff and things.

In my never ending search for electronic whats-its and doo-hickys that make me smile, I have developed an interest in electric powered vehicles, of all sizes and types.

As much as I would like to convert a full sized car, or motorcycle, realistically that is a ways out of reach for me, and most people. However with the recent boom in electric powered scooters, and the relatively high availability of cheap scooter parts online, I figure a highly modified electric scooter could be a lot of fun to build and ride.

So I splurged and picked up a Schwinn s500 electric scooter at Walmart for $199, and immediately began modifying it.

So far I have only done the simple step of over-volting it to 36v instead of the stock 24v.

So far it seems to be able to cope with the additional 12v just fine, and has made it an entirely different ride all together, top speed is higher, torque is higher, its just a lot more enjoyable.

The addition of 12 more volts, for a total of 36, makes for roughly 750 watts at the motor, and it sure makes a difference!

The next mod I will do, will be to eliminate the "soft start" feature, which basically delays the throttle input, to ramp it up ultra slowly. Probably a safety feature for kids, but is annoying more then anything else.

Pictures soon!

No comments: